- North Parish Washing Green Society
For the RELIEF of the POOR in the North Quarter of the City
PiggeryBrae were asked to provide an evenings entertainment at the
Centre in Glasgow
on 17th May 2007, 7.30pm
in support of the NPWGS
The NPWGS was established in 1792 and incorporated in
1794, the old Society has a quaint, unfamiliar and distinctive ring
about it to modern ears accustomed to many charities, but none which
concern themselves with a washing green.
Nevertheless the name enshrines part of the social history of a bygone,
semi-rural Glasgow when it was a comparatively small community, as yet
clean and unspoilt by the clouds of smoke from industry. It also carries
our memories back to those days when Glasgow Cross was the centre of
civic life. The renowned red-cloaked proud tobacco Lords taking their
stately stroll along the plainstanes before the Tontine were but a
recent occurrence when this Society was established..
The Heritors of the North Parish in April 1792 decided to equip and
mange a washing green of ground which they owned beside the banks of the
Molendinar Burn. The free income of this was to be distributed among the
poor of the North Parish.
The Society's property consisted of about 2½ acres of ground with
dwelling house, washing house and other buildings to the north of
Glasgow Cathedral. When the Merchants House began to lay out the
Necropolis and throw a bridge across the Molendinar and incidentally
across the washing-green which made it unsuitable for its original
The Directors sold the ground to the Royal Infirmary and the proceeds
formed the basis of the investment capital of today. The memory of
the washing green survives and this Society is its monument.
Membership subscriptions and donations help support the Society's work
with deserving pensioners living within the historic North Parish.
Life membership is a single
payment of £25 ( one guinea in 1792 )
on receipt of which you will receive a certificate of the Society and a
tie or headsquare.
Apply for membership or send donations to :
The Clerk, North Parish Washing Green Society, 53 Bothwell St., Glasgow
a get together of music, humour & patter